Old 15-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Bill

"Shawn" Spaketh Thusly:

I can't take it any more. I simply cannot beat or keep up with the
blue-green algae outbreak I've had now for about 5 months.

Thanks about it. Any other thoughts/advice would be well appreciated.

I haven't seen any in any of my tanks for a while, but a few years ago I would
get it periodically. Now, I was fighting spots of it and not a whole tank, but
this cured mine for good:
1. Make sure your C02 levels don't fluctuate - keep it as steady as possible.
2. Never skip your water changes - ever (traveling out of state on business
caused me problems).
3. Hydrogen Peroxide - the 3% drugstore brand. 1/4 oz. (that's one quarter of
an ounce of the 3% type) in a 29G tank every two or three days. Apply with a
turkey baster (I got to keep it, my wife didn't want it back, now it's a
permanent part of my aquarium supplies) DIRECTLY on the worst spot. Do the
happy dance as you see it bubble and listen for the BGA screaming in pain :-)
You'll see results the next day. In a bigger tank you can do more, in a
smaller do less. I was very conservative - this amount didn't hurt any fish
and didn't even seem to hurt any bacteria - all my levels stayed the same.
I was able to totally clear out an infestation about the size of a fist in a
week.

I got all the above info here on r.a.f.p, but it was several (3 or 4) years
ago and I can't pin down the time frame close enough to find the thread. I
remember that one person had used at least twice as much as I did and more
often with only very minor problems, but I didn't want to take a chance so I
went very easy with it. If there's no fish in the tank you can use more.

Important: if conditions in the tank are right for it, it WILL come back. Find
and fix the underlying problem while you're clearing it out, or you'll just
have to do it again. And again.

Good luck. Sorry I can't locate the original thread, it had lots of details on
doses and other people's experiences. If you're patient you might be able to
google it up.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net