Old 16-02-2005, 01:01 AM
alice

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
jadel wrote:
That's an amaryllis, not an orchid. It grows from a bulb.

J. Del Col

Well wait a minute, the flowers look like amaryllis to me too but

where
is the thick stem? Why does one flower seem to be coming from higher

up?
With an amaryllis all the flowers come from the very top.

The stem is there, though it isn't very big. I think the fact that it
closely parallels the center post of the window frame makes it look
atypical The strap-like leaves are also partially visible. I have a
number of amarylises. Sometimes the flowers are staggered a bit; it
depends on the variety, light, conditions, etc. It certainly isn't an
orchid.

J. Del Col

It could be a lily! Certainly not an orchid!