Old 17-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Troy Bruder wrote:
Hello,

I considering re-doing my planted tank.. This time, I want to use TRUE
planted tank substrate.. I really like the look of a "sand-ish" substrate,
but also want something that's going to reduce the amount of fertilizers I
need to add on a regular basis.

I'm really starting to wonder if all these fancy gravels are ore
of a fashio statement than actually usefull. I mean I've used
fine beach sand for years which any manner of idiots tell me
will not work and can never work.

Yeah, ok, then explain this:

http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Cryptocoryne/g/GRA/
http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Cryptocoryne/u/UND/

All grown in sand. For 10-15 years.

Now I've got and tried Flourite, profile, farfards aquatic
soil and so on and so forth. Given the price of this stuff
(especialy flourite) and the fact that plants can take
100% of their requirtements from the water column I
really do wonder why we need fancy gravel.

You want sand? Use sand. $4 for 50 pounds at home depot
("Playbox sand"). If my plants in fluoprite start doing better
than the one sin sand I'll let you know.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org