Old 20-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Phil L

snip..

:: Early in 2003, I came across a British Association for Shooting and
:: Conservation web page, where it was revealed that shooters were
:: "managing" a wildfowl reserve for the RSPB. Within a day of me
:: bringing this to the attention of an Internet Newsgroup, the page
:: was removed. Following a telephone call to the RSPB headquarters in
:: Edinburgh, I wrote to them asking if they would identify the
:: location of this reserve. They didn't reply.
::
:: Later that year, I found the following message from a contributor
:: to an Internet wildfowling magazine, who said, "I shoot over
:: marches owned by the RSPB. They lease the Humber wildfowlers the
:: shooting on there and I suppose we sort of police them for the
:: RSPB".
::
::
:: From this it is clear that birds are being shot on RSPB land
:: despite its objectives as shown on the Charity Commission website,
:: which a
::
:: (a) To conserve wild birds and the wider environment on which wild
:: birds depend, maintaining bird numbers, diversity and natural
:: geographical distribution.
:: (b) To conserve natural and semi-natural habitats and to re-create
:: habitats.
:: (c) To encourage others to practice the conservation of wild birds
:: and habitats.
:: (d) To promote knowledge of conservation through education and
:: research.

What part of the word conservation do you not understand?
To conserve one species it may be nessecary to remove another - it's ironic
that you should post this to a gardening forum as *all* gardeners spend a
lot of time killing or removing plants (weeds) so that other *wanted* plants
may grow.

(see any similarities?)

HTH

--