Old 20-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Colin Jacobs

hello & welcome to the group good to hear of an other east coaster. I live &
work on gardens on the east coast of Suffolk. I like lots of salt hardy
plants in my beds.

CJ
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Lesurf wrote:

Main feature of our garden for many years has been:

1) Ground eldar. aaargh!

Boil it as a sort of spinach and eat it to help with your gout. No,
it doesn't taste very nice, and I have no idea if it works :-)

2) Trees. Mostly self-seeded from the park that backs onto our garden.

!+2+3 above means we've had a sort of 'green glade' for many years. Nice

in
its way being shady, bushy, etc. However I am now keen to have a lot of
colour in terms of a variety of flowers. I've chopped down some of the
trees to get more light to the ground.

That is the first step in discouraging ground elder!

I planted various bulbs in some areas last year, and it has been very
pleasing to find that they *do* come up and give flowers. :-) However
some seem to be less happy than others so I hope people here can advise

on
this in due course.

I have some other specific questions/problems extra to the "freesias"

one,
e.g. the 'failed bulbs' one I refer to above, but I'll post the details

in
due course after I see what response (if any) I get to this posting and

the
'freesia' one... :-)

Well, if you were trying to get freesias to naturalise, you were taking
something on! Some of the native bulbs will fight ground elder (e.g.
(English) bluebells, which will strangle anything if they like the
conditions). You are a long way north for freesias.

Good luck, but it sounds as if you are heading in the right direction
(i.e. one that will work!)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.