Old 21-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Nikki Casali

spiral_72 wrote:
dose (KNO3) Potassium Nitrate (How do you know mine is low?)

Use a nitrate, NO3, test kit.

KNO3 is a molecule composed of elements O, N and K. You knew that,
anyway, yes?

"Now poor CO2, lack of NO3, K, traces, GH, PO4 etc sure
will............."

NO3 is a constituent of KNO3, so is K.

(NO3) Nitrates is zero. With my low fish load. it's to be expected.

That's your problem. The plants can't use up any further P if N is zero,
hence your high PO4 or P. Your plants are craving for nitrogen!

Lots of people run a very low fish load planted tank. You can't dose
Nitrates. Can you? Nitrates are generated by bacteria breaking
down.....forms of organic waste.

What? Nitrates = NO3. Dosing KNO3 is dosing your tank with nitrates,
plus some potassium. I don't think the plants really care about its source.

Nikki