Old 21-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Michael Janich
writes
I didn't say everybody is a scientist; I said

This is a science group

And if you look at the name: indeed it starts with "sci", which
stands for SCIence.

BTW: Nobody seems to know about triparental mating. If someone
can PLEASE write a summary. It should tell us, what the help strain is for.
THANKS

I couldn't find anything definitive with Google (searching on
triparental mating), but reading between the lines of what I did find,
it seems to be the transfer of genetic material (plasmids?) between
strains A and C, which do not conjugate with each other, via strain B
(the helper strain), which conjugates with both strains A and C.

Googling for "helper strain" conjugation gives me

URL:http://www.apsnet.org/education/Adva...Exercises/Elec
troporation/top.htm

which seems to confirm this interpretation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley