Old 22-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Richard Brooks

BAC wrote:
"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
BAC wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
[...]
What part of the word conservation do you not understand?
To conserve one species it may be nessecary to remove another -
it's
ironic that you should post this to a gardening forum as *all*
gardeners spend a lot of time killing or removing plants (weeds)
so that other *wanted* plants may grow.

(see any similarities?)

Don't worry -- or perhaps do worry -- we're next on the list.

I doubt it. Gardeners do not usually claim to be conservationists or
bird protectors and hence are unlikely to be accused of hypocrisy
for behaving in a manner Angus believes to be inconsistent with the
ideals of self proclaimed conservationists and/or bird protectors.
It is the hypocrisy he perceives which he campaigns against.

I expect he posted his letter on this newsgroup because many
gardeners are likely to be actual or potential RSPB supporters, not
because he has a hidden agenda against gardeners.

Is Angus MacMillan the 'ruddy duck' "open letter to the RSPB and
whole world" guy ?

He is in the habit of writing open letters, and has certainly
disapproved of the RSPB's support of the governments decision to
exterminate Ruddy Ducks in the UK, yes.

I wonder what he thinks about the hundreds of parakeets released
into the wild by petshop owners scared by the exotic pets laws some
years back (I think it was in Maggie's reign) ? Those damned
screechy things spread into the suburbs of Croydon in about August
last year and I'm glad I've moved to Oxford since then. Shooting's
too good for them.

Careful, the denizens of Oxford might harbour similar thoughts about
some escapees from Croydon :-) Angus' normal response to queries like
yours is to suggest adoption of a 'live and let live' policy,
confident that matters will reach a 'natural balance' if left to
their own devices.

I was born here (Radcliffe Infirmary) so my accent is like a relative's
(clue-"ere's a little poem I wrote") but that's probably mainly due to
living in Carterton for the first ten years whilst it was also partly
populated by Americans which I think helped to strengthen the accent.

Besides, guns aren't the norm here in Oxford so it's a lot less 'angry' and
you can see most of the sky.

As to your last paragraph I wish I received that some years ago when I was
assisting on "The Sexual Imperative" series as we spent thirteen days living
and sleeping in London Zoo. Those lions and tigers ought not be locked up
like that! ;-) Let's see Angus's policy at work then.

Anyway, about these plants and things ?

What exotic type of plant would you like to be successful in growing
?

I've been intrigued by that Money Tree I've seen on TV recently ...

Is that also when they say "cash cow" when talking of "where there's muck
there's brass" ?

Richard.