Old 10-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Dwayne

Default Mail order plants Any problems?

Sunflower makes a good point. In my case however, I don't have a good
source of indoor light, and don't have the room to build a good lighting
system for small seedlings. Mine all get tall reaching for more light, it
is too cold to take them outside during most days, and I planted most of
them too soon and the roots got all balled up in the pots.

I an going to give it another try this year because Brussels sprouts,
Broccoli and onions are supposed to be planted early here for the summer
crop, and plants arent available that soon. I cant get sweet potatoe slips
here and ordering them cost almost as much as buying the sweet potatoes, so
I have to grow my own. Regular potatoes are an exception. I tried to use
my own compared to the certified seed potatoes you can order and had about
1/3 to 1/2 the yield from mine.

If any of you out there have any ideas that will help us, jump right in.
Thanks. Dwayne

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
t...
Anyone experience with buying veggie plants through mail order? What

places
are more reliable?

It's *very* expensive compared to buying the starts locally. (Most local
tomato plants average $1.59 for a 6 pak, or $1 for a 4" single pot) It's
also very easy to start whatever you want in flats yourself and save time
and money and expand your selection dramatically. Most mailorder places
don't have a great selection of plants, wheras they do offer nice

selections
in seed.

There's a lot of reasons to NOT do this that I can think of, and I'm

trying
hard to think of why you would want to choose mailorder over local, even

if
you don't want to start seeds yourself.

Sunflower
MS 7b