#2   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2005, 11:18 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise
Hi there,
I was wondering
Denise (a keen but novice gardener)
i'd stick the new roses in a bucket of water for 12 hours or so then plant em straight out....the older one i'd cut out all the dead and reduce the living by about two thirds....one or two living i'd take right down as low as possible to ground level in order to stimulate new growth this coming season. tie in the new growth and the following year reduce by about a third...next year some of those untouched take down to ground level...keep on doing this every year unless aiming for a permanant framework.

....is one way of doing it...does nt really matter what the regime is so long as its consistant...its possible ' climbing rose' quality degenerates on wood allowed to become years and years old .

oh and its said don t hard prune very young climbers as this can lead to reversion back to bush rose.

its also said ' rambling ' roses can be left untouched once a few young canes have been encouraged...this is done by cutting down to the ground all old wood once a new cane shows itself after planting....'ramblers' sadly mainly flower just once in the season having much greater affinity with wild roses.

with all roses the flowers should nt be encouraged at the expense of the natural shape of the bush...its a balance...loosing some flowering wood each year but maintaining vigourous growth throughout.

all this is only my opinion by the way i better shut up !