Old 26-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Pete wrote:
"spiral_72" wrote in news:1109257838.263647.17370
:

Yup, I got some after work. Finally! The hardware store had some made
of Sodium sulphide (Na2So3) I think..... So, against my principles I
went to the Lowes..... They had the Green Light brand that said it
contained potassium nitrate. I had them pull an MSDS on it just to be
sure. It is supposedly 100%
I tried the stuff in my 16oz jar with water and sure enough.....
Nitrates out the roof!. I put about 1/3 tablespoon in my aquarium
filter. I'll check it out again tonight.

WHOA NELLY!!.
Unless I'm way off here, I think you just dosed your tank to about 20ppm of
Nitrates when you're aiming for around 5ppm. You can use this site for
calculations
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

So? I aim for 20-30 ppm and don't use CO2. I slipped a digit once and had
200 pm for a month. No shrimp, plant, fish or snail was adversely affected.

Nitrates don't kill fish, poeple kill fish.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org