Old 27-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Pete

(Richard Sexton) wrote in :

WHOA NELLY!!.
Unless I'm way off here, I think you just dosed your tank to about
20ppm of Nitrates when you're aiming for around 5ppm. You can use this
site for calculations
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

So? I aim for 20-30 ppm and don't use CO2. I slipped a digit once and
had 200 pm for a month. No shrimp, plant, fish or snail was adversely
affected.

Nitrates don't kill fish, poeple kill fish.

Never said it killed fish. Was really more a comment on a large initial
does for a tank in problems with new ferts and while trying to balance it
out.

I've done the same thing with phosphates, but then my tank was plant loaded
already and didn't have any algae problems. Don't want him to find his
algae problem growing worse and then giving up on the fert idea.