Old 27-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Pete

(Richard Sexton) wrote in :

In article ,
Pete wrote:
(Richard Sexton) wrote in :

WHOA NELLY!!.
Unless I'm way off here, I think you just dosed your tank to about
20ppm of Nitrates when you're aiming for around 5ppm. You can use
this site for calculations
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

So? I aim for 20-30 ppm and don't use CO2. I slipped a digit once
and had 200 pm for a month. No shrimp, plant, fish or snail was
adversely affected.

Nitrates don't kill fish, poeple kill fish.

Never said it killed fish. Was really more a comment on a large
initial does for a tank in problems with new ferts and while trying to
balance it out.

Fair enough, bit too low of a nitrate level will cause algae too,
specifically blue green algae.

Yeah, I had it higher myself before, but tried moving to lower levels as I
have a med-high fish load and wanted to make sure the NH4 (a real algae
booster) is also being used up and it seemed to work well. All a process
of trying certain levels and observing the reactions.

Pete.