Old 27-02-2005, 10:02 PM

Um, my algae condition has not improved. I am going to give it a bit
before I change anything more. I expect it would be foolish to add

more
plants if the plants I have are running idle. As soon as I find out
what causes my current plants to grow I will add more, which should
take care of the algae problem, right?
There, now I'm following the original post. Right?
my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Try doing a 3 day blackout, that will kill the BGA as will antibiotics.

But if you want prevention and removal over the long term, address the
plant's needs.

Remove as much BGA as you can. Clean filter, prune any thing overgrown
that's draping across the surface of the water.
Do 50% water change, add KNO3 at 1/4 teaspoon per 25 gal of tank.
Wait 3 days, turn off CO2, cover with trashbags, (2 so that no light at
all gets in), remove after 3 days, add the same amount of KNO3 back,
hook up CO2, make sure you have enough CO2, then add that much KNO3
2-3x a week there after and do good sized water changes(say 50%)
weekly.

Your plants will grow if you give them what they need, K+, NO3, CO2,
light, traces, GH, and PO4 etc.

This will prevent any algae, not just BGA, from infecting your tank in
the future for many years.

When you neglect the tank and the plant's needs, the plants slow down
their growth and then if severe enough, the algae appear.

So always focus on the plant's needs, then you have no algae issues to
speak of.

This concept is both simple and effective.

Regards,
Tom Barr