Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

the only thing I never understood is if it's a problem with low
nitrates why change the water then?

I've never seen BGA in newly setup tanks even with plants moved to
it that are BGA infected. I'm wondering if it's a buildup or
something like organics that is a prerequisite.

Pasteur Institute's defined Cyanobacter culture medium used for
freshwater, soil, and thermal strains.

g/l mM
NaNO3 1.5 17.65
(replaced with 10 mM NaHCO3 for nitrogen-fixing strains)
K2HPO4.3H20 0.04 0.18
MgSO4.7H2O 0.075 0.30
CaCl2.2H2O 0.036 0.25
Citric acid 0.006 0.03
Ferric ammonium citrate 0.006 0.03
EDTA (disodium magnesium) 0.001 0.003
Na2CO3 0.02 0.19

Trace metal mix A5+Co 1 ml
Deionized water to 1 l
pH after autoclaving and cooling: 7.4

Trace metals A5+Co
Ingredient g/l
H3BO3 2.86
MnCl2.4H2O 1.81
ZnSO4.7H2O 0.222
Na2MoO4.2H2O 0.390
CuSO4.5H2O 0.079
Co(NO3)2.6H2O 0.049

See anything that could build up over time? I think maybe it's the
phosphate, since that's at 40 ppm. New tanks don't usually have that
generous an amount of phosphate. Of course, a defined medium at a
culture collection is designed to support long-term growth so that much
phosphate probably isn't necessary in the short term.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__