Old 08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
E Gregory

Ann,
I keep a large wire "circle" in the middle of my garden, was once a
tomato cage. It's very convenient to just pile stuff in it, I don't
really bother to turn it, the composted stuff just eventually gets fine
enough to come out the bottom between the wire. Every once in a while
I push the whole thing over to spread out the good stuff from the bottom
that hasn't already fallen out and put the uncomposted stuff back into
the hoop. I also have a compost bin made of pallets too, which is no
where near as convenient to use. I put compost from chicken pen in it
and kitchen scraps that the chickens won't eat. Pretty much only put
garden compost in the garden hoop, mostly just a matter of convenience.
Eileen
PS Also do not live in town.

Anne Lurie wrote:
Don,

I must preface this by saying that I live in Wake County, not a town, so
basically, we can "do what ever we want as long as we don't scare the
horses" (to quote Lady Astor or someone, probably about anarchists
protesting in the streets).

Anyway, you might want to experiment with compost "sans container" until you
find the right container. I have one of the smaller tumbler composters --
end over end vs. the thing with the crank. However, what I actually use is
a pile in a corner here and there that I can actually turn over with a
pitchfork. But, as I said, I'm out in the county, so "attractiveness" is
not a concern.

What ever you choose, if the container is designed to be turned, consider
how much you can put into it and still be able to move it!!!

I have some compost in two large wire "circles" that were already here when
I bought my house. Stuff composts just fine there, but *getting it out* is
tricky for me (I'm only 5'4").

Good luck,

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"DonS" wrote in message
om...

Hi. My existing compost "bin" has died, and I am in search of something
replace it. It was the basic 4 pallets on end, and they have rotted.

I went by Lowe's, HD and Wal-Mart, but none had a compost bin. I thought
remember seeing one of the black plastic ones at Lowe's last year, but the
guy there swears they never carried them.

The Town of Cary web site suggests using trash cans. It said to drill
holes in the sides and bottom, and keep covered with the lid. It sounds
like
a good idea, as you could just roll the trash can to mix the contents.

I would appreciate input on what has worked best.

Thanx....don