Old 10-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Richard Sexton

Something else I just realized too. My Amazon Swords began developing
yellow/brown areas on many of the leaves and quit growing just about

I looked this up in the Dupla book under plant diagnosis and
it said "nutrient problem. change lost of water and add nutrients".

Ironically crpts can do really well in a tank full of BGA. I've
never figured that out. By really well I mean bigger longer leaves than
when it's cleared up.

BGA is fixes nitrogen so I assume your BGA tank is low on NO3. In a
tank full of BGA, individual BGA cells would be continually dying and
falling to the substrate. Perhaps the crypts find dead BGA a better
nitrogen source than NO3 in the water column.

Perhaps. Is it jus tme or does BGA sort of reek of ammonia? Crypts
just love amonia. Also, a shaded crypt is a big crypt, and the
mass of stem pants covering the surface blocking the light
causes the crypts underneath to try harder to reach out for light.

I think this also explains why crypts are bigger in large tanks;
less light down at the substrate than with a small tank with
the same light.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org