Old 14-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Rocco Moretti

Victor Martinez wrote:
Ozdude wrote:

I really don't think it's an algaecide per se, but rather, it's
bringing the tank into a balance where the plants can out compete the
algae.

I recommend you guys google for the thread discussing this last time. It
has a very good explanation on why seachem excel *is* an algaecide.

Which thread is this? Googling on "seachem excel algaecide" gave me two
threads - this one and one titled "Which fert should I reduce to cut
algae growth?" from January.

In it I saw a lot of back-and forth, but nothing I would class as a
"very good" explanation of the algaecidal properties - the best I saw
was "nudge-nudge-wink-wink" type quotes allegedly from the Seachem CEO
that danced around the issue.

That's not to say that I doubt that Excel can kill algae, or at least
make its life miserable - it's just I can't find any sort of
*explanation* of why it kills algae, just anecdotal claims that it does.
I'm curious for the reason behind it - what's in it that might cause the
effect people see?