Old 14-03-2005, 08:28 PM
spiral_72

Thanks for the link. I am going to use off the shelf fertilizers for
right now. I gotta get this thing under control and there's no need to
start taking more risks than necessary.

I am dosing KNO3 to keep my nitrates at 7-10ppm

I've run several doses of Epsom salts because I had it and it was an
ingredient in PMDD

I have started using a leaf fertilizer that had the stuff you
recommended plus more. It also specifically mentioned there were NO
nitrates or phosphates in the mixture.

I am continuing a Serra substrate fertilizer at 3 tablets per month
near the roots of plants.... quality stuff!.

I have just begun a DIY CO2 bomb...... It will have been running for 3
days tonight.

I am still running 25% water changes once a week with a modified
vacuuming proceedure.... very light gravel disruption (like the tope
1/4")

BGA growth has decreased very little. Last week something wierd
happened. 3 days after my water change there was little BGA growth. I
thought I had the stuff licked. That night when I got home from work
there had been an BGA explosion. Green stuff everywhere. I changed
water one day early last week.

Results:
My banana plants are growing like crazy. Multiple new leaves and 5
shoots. Java ferns are stable with no growth. Amazon swords are
suffering slowly. There are a few new but withered leaves while others
are spotted with brown/yellow areas but very green overall. I planted
some other stuff that looks similar to Hornwort but nicer. It seems to
be stable, no growth. There does not seem to be any other forms of
algae or fungus in the tank..... The fish seem unaffected by the whole
thing. My Corys have spawned several times. The CO2 is my last resort
other than medication...... Just waiting

my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html