Old 14-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Richard Sexton

BGA growth has decreased very little. Last week something wierd
happened. 3 days after my water change there was little BGA growth. I
thought I had the stuff licked. That night when I got home from work
there had been an BGA explosion. Green stuff everywhere. I changed
water one day early last week.

I keep suggesting massive daily water changes but never hear
how that's worked or not worked for you.

The first step to get rid of this crap is to get the tank
very clean. I siphon out all waste, gravel vac then diatom
the tank - and change lots of water. Lots and lots.

My well water here is apparantly the perfect growth medium
for staghorn which is tengentially related to BBA. Every other
algae I can lick but this one is a problem for me. I've
had to resort to chemical means to eradicate it complete
and have found peroxide can be made to work with some difficulty
and Aquarium Pharmecuticals Algae Fix kills it dead overnight
much more safely (albit it kills all invertenrates). Copper
sulphate will do the same.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org