Old 16-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Susan Hogarth

Today Dear Abby:

DEAR ABBY: Please alert other dog lovers about something our family
learned this week after spending hundreds of dollars at an emergency
veterinary clinic: Dogs can become seriously ill or die from eating
grapes, raisins, onions and garlic.

Our darling puppy may have permanent kidney damage because, in our
ignorance, we left a bowl of grapes on the dinner table. I hope other
families will read this and keep their pets safe. Thanks for spreading the
word. -- GERMAN SHEPHERD MOM, THORNTON, COLO.

Thanks. The grapes/raisins thing is a bit overblown in my opinion. Sure, a
small dog might die from eating a pound of grapes - but if you ate the
equivalent amount of grapes *you'd* be in serious trouble too. An
occasional bit of onion or garlic or chocolate won't make a dog keel over
as many people have been taught to fear. Just use noral precautions (which,
with beagles, means leaving NOTHING edible laying in reach).

However, in general most veggies and fruits can be safely given to dogs in
moderation. Dogs are omnivorous like humans, and most enjoy a wide variety
of foods.

Sorry; off-topic!

--
Susan Hogarth |