Old 20-03-2005, 03:05 PM
ghbt

Default plant pot soil add sand to the clay soil ?

Hi, I need some more soil for plant pots. that compost stuff you buy and
that the pot plants first come in never seems to be any good for plants
after a while, guess it does not have enough nutrients in it ??

I have acess to a heap of ordinary garden soil which seems alright, although
it does seem to have quite a lot of little 'clay' lumps in it. (London
area),

Coming back from abroad recently i noticed that the soil was very sandy but
everything seems to grow very well in it.

what i am now proposing is to make up my plant pot soil with 50% of this
garden soil plus 25% garden centre compost and also 25% sand.

Does this sound like a reasonable proportion ? and if so what kind of sand
should i use please ( sharp sand or smooth sand ?)

thanks for any advice you can give a novice.