Old 20-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Mike Lyle

ghbt wrote:
But your mixture will still get exhausted in pots, and you'll

still
need to feed in a year or so. I generally use the stuff out of
growbags -- sometimes even used ones.
Mike.

thanks for your response. but i remember being told some time ago
that grow bags and shop compost are ok for a short time; but do

not
contain the 'essential minerals' that are found in ordinary garden
soil. Which are apparently necessary for long term use in a pot.

By essential minerals my understanding is that it means other

things
than are found in ordinary plant feed.

I take the same view; but in practice it doesn't usually matter much.
As I said, though, whatever you fill a pot with will become
exhausted, so the plant will have to be fed. Your soil-based mixture
is roughly like John Innes, and will last much longer than growbag
stuff; and in theory should result in healthier plants. I wouldn't
use peat-type media for anything like a fruit tree or a flowering
tree I wanted to keep in a container for years; and even then I'd
expect to have to change the soil regularly _and_ feed.

--
Mike.