Old 26-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Phisherman

Aeration has little to do with seeding. I believe you want to
"overseed." In preparation, do not use any weed killer at least two
months before overseeding. Mow your lawn as close as possible,
picking up the grass clippings. Dethatch the lawn if needed. The
dethatching will bring the seed in contact with the ground. Use a
spreader to distribute the seed and use a starter fertilizer, then
lightly drag a rake over the ground. Protect with straw and keep
moist. The best time of year to overseed varies on what seed that is
used and the location. Treating weeds and overseeding should be
planned several months apart.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:40:30 GMT, Barry Andrews
wrote:

Hi All,

I have a lawn with very little grass, and a lot of weeds. I want to
reseed, and from what I have been reading the seed to soil contact is
most important in seed germination. Is plug aerating before seeding
enough to get good seed to soil contact, or is it necessary to spread a
little soil on top of the seed?

Thanks for your help!

Barry