Old 27-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Tim Tyler

Kay wrote or quoted:
In article , Tim Tyler writes
Pam Moore wrote or quoted:

I have some camellias in pots, and a blueberry, also potted, plus a
few other things which are in ericaceous compost. [...]

Is there any other ericaceous feed more suitable for such plants?
My camellias are flowering well and I the blueberry is budding up
nicely, but I feel they need a reat! All they get is an occasional
dose of tea!

I was suprised to learn that the tea plant and the blueberry plant
were rather close relatives.

Are you sure about that? As far as I am aware, tea is Camellia in the
family Theaceae, whereas Vaccinium (which includes blueberry) is
Ericaceae. Different families is rather a long way away to be described
as 'close'.

The taxonomy browser gives:

Tea:
Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina;
Embryophyta; Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta;
Magnoliophyta; eudicotyledons; core eudicots; asterids;
Ericales; Theaceae; Camellia

Blueberry:
Eukaryota; Viridiplantae; Streptophyta; Streptophytina;
Embryophyta; Tracheophyta; Euphyllophyta; Spermatophyta;
Magnoliophyta; eudicotyledons; core eudicots; asterids;
Ericales; Ericaceae; Vaccinioideae; Vaccinieae

....so yes, cousins might well be stretching it a bit.
--