Old 29-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Endangered Bucket Farmer

In article
,
says...
Aeration has little to do with seeding. I believe you want to
"overseed." In preparation, do not use any weed killer at least two
months before overseeding. Mow your lawn as close as possible,
picking up the grass clippings. Dethatch the lawn if needed. The
dethatching will bring the seed in contact with the ground. Use a
spreader to distribute the seed and use a starter fertilizer,

Any comments/recommendations on specific fertiliser
brands or formulations?

then lightly drag a rake over the ground.

Rake *after* the seed is on? I thought the raking was
done before(?)

Protect with straw and keep moist.

I have found that gentleness is needed with the
watering. A blast from a hose tends to push the grass
seeds around (I.e. distributes unevenly.) I just have
a small grass area, so I use a 5-litre hand-pump
sprayer, three times per day, while the grass seed is
still working on itself.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/