Old 03-04-2005, 03:02 AM
~Roy~

===
==="Troy Church" wrote in message
l.earthlink.net...
=== I've thought about the fish route. There are a number of fish in the
=== pond/lake, but we just moved here and I don't know exactly what they are.
=== Some are quite large and I haven't had the time, yet, to catch some to see
=== if they are the variety that will eat anything else I put in there, or if
=== they are primarily herbivores. Has anyone had luck with tilapia in a
=== pond/lake like this? The waterway is very seasonal and the depth
===fluctuates
=== from 3' in the Florida dry season (winter) to almost 10' in the summer.

Tilapia should do well in middle and lower florida waters....If the
waters temps get much below 60 deg or so they start to
die......Although here in my area they raise tilapia, and have been
quite sucessful with them overwintering (south central Alabama) so you
never know until you try. They also say Plecostemus (sp?) can't
handle water coler than 60 deg, or they die...I have a few pleco's or
that has been in my pond over 6 years now and well over 16 or more
inches in length and they do just fine, and my water has gotten into
the lower 40's already......and even with my depth I seriously doubt
its 60 deg or above on the bottom during winter months.