Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 AM
simy1

Default Inoculant question

I pllanted my favas and my peas in beds that are one year old (they
used to be prairie). I gave the beds maybe four inches of compost made
with wood chips and grass clippings last year, and the soil, formerly
very sandy, is already vastly improved. But they never were manured.
Part of the favas went into a bed, five years old, done entirely with
compost made of leaves plus kitchen scraps. I covered all seeds with
two years old wood chips. Question: should I have inoculated them prior
to planting? Can I improve matters by side dressing with manure, which
works as inoculant? Should I inoculate my pole beans, which will go in
in a month?