Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Iain Miller

"Dave S" wrote in message

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

"Nikki Casali" wrote in message

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to
the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone
calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent
the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
NCG

I had the same problem - my LFS in Hampshire is now trying to source
it.

Now you're making me paranoid. I'd better start ringing around now
before my 2kg bottle runs down. How about a fire station?

I use 3Kg bottles from my local Calor depot . The JBL regulator needs a
slight sanding with wet & dry to fit but works a treat. About £15 a
refill - just take the old bottle to the depot & grab a full one.

I.

Hi Iain - Excuse my ignorance; Is co2 the same as Calor gas? (Stupid
question I know)

LOL...no!

Calor supply all sorts of different bottled gases - propane, butane, oxygen,
CO2, Acetylene etc etc etc. The CO2 is usually supplied for pubs I think -
but they have racks of the stuff at my local depot just outside Guildford.
Two different sized bottles - a 3kg and 7Kg. The 3Kg bottle is around 51/52
cm tall & maybe 15cm across. The 7Kg is twice as tall. The bottles are not
pretty but fortunately it fits in the cupboard under my tank. You don't have
to buy a bottle & there is no deposit - just turn up & ask for a 3kg or 7kg
bottle of CO2, hand over your £15 (dunno what the 7Kg costs - probably
£25-£30) & that's that. When its empty take it back & get another one.
Because its meant for pubs etc its "food grade" CO2 so its very clean &
works well. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. One
bottle lasts me about 9-10 months in my 65G tank & I don't worry too much
about wasteage or limiting surface movement. Its controlled by a PH
controller anyway so it turns itself on & off as needed.

The JBL regulator is slightly oversize for the Calor bottle (which has an
international std neck on it). All you need to do is take the O-ring off the
regulator (carefully!) & have at it with some 120 Grit Wet & dry sandpaper -
takes about 10-15 minutes just to take enough off for it to fit. Get a calor
bottle, try & fit the regulator & you'll see what I mean & which bit you
need to "adjust". The threaded collar that you tighten up onto the bottle
fits fine - its the bit inside this that doesn't go inside the calor neck
properly. My tip for the day is to buy yourself some spare O-rings if you
don't have any!

Its the O-ring that makes the seal anyway ( a tiny smear of vaseline is a
good idea on the rubber) so don't worry about doing it & the thing still
works fine on the std JBL bottle - I still use mine for a couple of days
here & there everytime I run out of the main bottle. You'll take the chrome
off the nose of the regulator obviously but that is no matter - underneath
its brass as would be expected & you don't see the bit you need to adjust.
Lord alone knows why JBL made the thing slightly oversize - probably to make
sure we had to use their hideously overpriced CO2 I expect!

HTH

Iain