Old 06-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Tex John

England? See, I was wondering where "horticultural sand" came from...been
making my own soil for years and hadn't seen any.

John

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
jw 111 wrote:
Is there really any reason why builders sand should not be used rather

than
the more expensive horticultural sand, in making up a soil mixture for

pots?

If you buy masonry sand at a supplier like MPI ($10 for 1/4 CY)you'll
get washed, graded sand. Should have no impurities and no lime. Other
types of "sand" could be a number of different things, such as sandy
loam, which has a much smaller actual sand content. I would think that
"horticultural" sand has been bagged and is conveniently available where
other sands are sold in bulk.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX