Old 12-04-2005, 12:22 AM

Steph,

Who needed mocking birds, when they had Olivia Newton-John?

"steph" wrote in message

"Elliot Richmond" wrote in message
There is a mockingbird building a nest in one of the mountain laurels
in our front yard. There are also lots of loose cats in the
neighborhood. I know we have discussed cat deterrents here in the
past, but I can't find any of that information. Does anyone know of a
reliable, humane way to keep the cats out of that tree?

Of course, the mocking birds will do a good job during the day, but
most domestic house cats hunt at night.

Thanks

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Try something lemon-scented, or if you prefer and its not an expensive
option,try lemon juice. Cats hate citric smells and when I put my rubbish
bag out , I spray it with lemon-scented fly-spray. Spraying it around the
top keeps cats away, and spraying a lemon-scented flyspray around the
body
of it detracts the birds. I don't know why it works, it just does. I don't
recommend this for a tree.For a tree, the lemon juice might be a better
option.
By the way, I don't think that I have ever seen a mockingbird. But when I
was - a lot -younger, I used to hear (Doris Day?) over the radio singing
something about "Tra-la-la, tweedley dee-dee,
there's peace and goodwill, you're welcome as the flowers on Mockingbird
Hill"

steph