Old 12-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Elaine T

Mr. Zee wrote:
Hello folks: I'm getting back into the hobby after a 15 year vacation.
Starting a 55 gallon tank with dwarf cichlids and tetras. Just ordered a
bunch of plants for it. (Java, Corkscrew Val., etc) I also bought the
above lamp, but now see that it's (seems) to be for sal****er. Will my
plants have a hard time with this light? Perhaps I'm worrying about
nothing. However, I'd like to do this right and if someone could recommend
a better replacement bulb from coralife I'd but it. Thanks for the info!

If you can find it, Coralife makes a Nutrigrow Plant flourescent lamp
with a temperature of 6700K. The Trichromatic with its 6500K
temperature and 94 CRI would be a close second - I really like good
trichromatic bulbs for plant tanks. Spectramax (also 6500 K), ColorMax,
or Day-Max would also work.

50/50 bulbs are really designed to look like the sun about 30 feet down,
at reef depth. They have a pronounced blue cast that makes freshwater
look odd. They also put out actinic and UV light that is not very
useful to your plants.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__