Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Timothy

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:52:02 +0000, grinder wrote:

I have two peach trees and both have peach leaf curl. One of the
trees has very few leaves and most are affected.

My nursery gave me Growmore Organic Seaweed extract to spray on the
leaves. It does not say on the bottle it is designed for this type of
application but I have seen reference to its use on nursery sites.

Any feedback?

Good day, I'm unsure what the seaweed extract will do against a fungal
infection. Maybe they have information that I don't. Either way, the tree
with the most infection maybe a loss. It really depends the size and age
of the tree.

Peach leaf curl:
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/
Click Tree Fruits Peach

begin Copy Paste
Biology
Peach leaf curl is a fungal disease affecting primarily the leaves and
shoots. Fruit is occasionally attacked. Young leaves develop yellow to
reddish discoloration and become thickened, crisp, and crinkled. Affected
leaves are curled and deformed. A white powdery coating of the fungus
later develops on infected leaves. Infected leaves either turn yellow and
drop or remain on the tree, turning dark brown as the season progresses.
Infected green shoots become thickened and distorted. Fruits may show
swollen, reddish areas on the surface. These areas lack the normal peach
fuzz. The fungus overwinters on twigs and buds. This disease is a major
problem of peaches in western Washington. Severe leaf drop affects fruit
production, reduces vigor of trees, and increases susceptibility to winter
injury.

Management Options
Select Non-chemical Management Options as Your First Choice!!

* Plant disease-tolerant or resistant varieties. 'Krummel', 'Muir',
and 'Redhaven' are reported to be tolerant. 'Rosy Dawn' is somewhat
resistant. 'Frost' is disease-resistant and is recommended for
planting in western Washington. However, it has no juvenile resistance
and must be protected during the first 2 to 3 years. * Remove infected
leaves when they first appear prior to sporulation of the fungus.
Destroy infected material.

Revision Date:7/1/2004
Apply a fungicide during the first week of January. Make 2 to 3 additional
applications at 3- to 4-week intervals. If weather is cool and wet, apply
fungicides at 3-week intervals. If the weather is warm and dry, apply
fungicides at 4-week intervals.

* Bonide Fung-onil Multi-Purpose Fungicide R-T-U * Cooke Kop-R-Spray
Conc
* Dexol Bordeaux Powder
* Hi-Yield Bordeaux Mix Fungicide
* Hi-Yield Lime Sulfur Spray
* Lilly Miller Microcop Fungicide
* Lilly Miller Polysul Summer & Dormant Spray Conc * Monterey
Liqui-Cop Copper Fungicidal Garden Spray * Ortho Multi-Purpose
Fungicide Daconil 2787 Conc * This list may not include all products
registered for this use.

/end Copy Paste

This information is for washington state. The spray times for your area
may vary.
Good luck.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.