Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
E Gregory

Kira Dirlik !! wrote:

I haven't dared set out my plants yet. Last frost date April 15th.

We've been over this before.

FWIW, I've got some lovely tomato plants 18" tall with nice
big flowering buds on them. If a late frost HAD killed them,
I'd have planted more. As it is, I've got a nice start on
the season.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see?
www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

My experience with planting tomatos and peppers before the ground is
good and warm is that they seem to go into a dormant stage and actually
take longer to grow and produce fruit than plants put in the ground
after it has warmed up. I've done this several times, put some of my
tomatos and peppers in early, put plants started from same seeds at same
time in much later after the ground is warm, and the ones put in later
produce much earlier than the ones put in first. You may wonder why I'd
do it more than once. I like to experiment. Of course this is my
experience, yours certainly may be different.
Eileen