Old 18-04-2005, 07:01 AM
mm

Default Rose choosing dilemma

I was set to buy Charles de Mills this season when I chanced to see
David Austin's Heritage. I am looking for a nicely scented pink rose
with that old fashioned half cabbage look to it. I know Charles is a
Gallica and I have no gallicas in my garden yet and I've heard they are
spectacular although not repeat bloomers. I've also heard good things
about David Austin Roses and this rose looks like an old rose but has
some nice "modern features" like recurrant bloom. It also sounds
"bushier" than Charles.

In the past, I have always eliminated Austin Roses from my list because
I'm in zone 4, Minneapolis and DA Roses are only rated for zone 5 and
above. I do protect my roses but I like to start with something that
claims it can survive. I treat my tea roses as if they were annuals. If
they survive, great but plan to replace at least a few each year.

Does someone have both of these puppies in their garden? Or have
possitive or negative things to say about one or the other?

mm

Roses: Shrub--Morden Blush, Morden Centennial, Charles Albanel, Therese
Bugnet, John Cabot; HT: Full Sail, Vets Honor, Ink Spots, Opening
Night.