Old 18-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Charles Perry

mm wrote:

I was set to buy Charles de Mills this season when I chanced to see

Well, not exactly in my garden, but within the block there is an
Austin fan and a Gallica grower. The lady who grows English
roses does not winter protect, her roses depend on the leaves
that naturaly accumulate in the fall for winter cover. There is
quite a bit of die back some winters, but they have survived for
years. Heritage is one that she grows. I just grow Fishermans
Friend and Wm. Shakspeare in a more exposed site and they die
back to the wood chip mulch that I mound up for winter.

The Gallicas just get minor tip die back most winters. Charles
de Mills has a clipped look to the bloom, a darker pink than
Heritage and a more striking look to my eye.
Well, it does bloom only once a year, but so do tulips,
daffodils and lilacs.

Regards from Tropical Minnesota Zone 4a

Charles
--