Old 19-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Martin Pentreath

Default Climbing rose in a pot?

Not content with the new climbers in my back garden, I'm thinking of
creating a rural idyll in central London with roses growing up the
front of my house ;-)

I've been researching a bit with the assistance of info from this
group. I'm thinking of something which will climb to a fair height
(4-5m) and which has a long flowering season and a strong scent to
waft into the rooms. Mme. Alfred Carriere looks like it would fit the
bill, for example. But I've had trouble in the past with a subsiding
bay window at the front of the house, and I think it would be better
to keep it in a pot to minimise water abstraction from the ground. Is
this a non-starter?