Old 20-04-2005, 11:49 AM

Dude wrote:
My water is very clear but I can see String alge forming on the liner
all over.
Is there anything I can do?
My pond gets a lot of sun because I have a east west facing house and
the pond is in the back yard so from about 11am on its in the sun a
good part of the day. I have some shade for it but it really only

helps
in the morning hours. I have anacharis in the pond and its doing fine
and now some new lily's comming to the top.
Whats the cure for string alge?

Thanks,
Chris

In a perfect pond or water garden there would be no algae. Your
filtration system and your aquatic plants would absorb the nitrates
that algae feed from.

Algae outbreaks are a sign that you may have too many fish, you are
overfeeding your fish, or you don't have enough pond plants to consume
it.

The resultant waste that cannot be handled is turned into ammonia, then
converted to Nitrites and finally Nitrates. You seriously need to think
that your pump and filter is overwhelmed and you need to get a bigger
pump to push more water through your biofilter, and also consider
adding another biofilter maybe in the form of an additional waterfall.

Here is a good simple chart to insure you are armed with the knowledge
to tackle your problems.

http://www.pondkoi.com/nitrogen.htm