Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] New member - Question on junipers

#1. I want to get into junipers but i'm having trouble finding
small
starter stock. Could i buy the 1 gallon size and just prune

them back
?

Sure. But note that for most of us, 1-gallon junipers ARE small
starter stock. For many of us 5-gallon juniper are at least
fairly small starter stock. ;-)

You will (almost) always get a better bonsai by starting with a
tree (of whatever size) and cutting it back.

#2. My dad has several very scraggly junipers that have not

thrived on
a hill where he planted about 75 of them several years ago.

Why not
replace a couple of them with big healthy gallon sized nursery

ones
and work with the scraggly ones as bonsai ? Think that could

be done?

This will work, too -- though "scraggly" doesn't infuse me with a
great wish to see the resulting bonsai. Be sure you understand
the ins and outs of transplanting from the ground to a pot before
you try it, though your best time for doing the digging is almost
past.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --