Old 21-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Heidi the Horrible

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like Zoysia. It's suited to much warmer climates, but can
easily grow in the northeast and survive hard winters. It goes a light
brown, more like straw color in Oct in NJ and remains that way till
May. One of my neighbors has it and it looks like hell. It's also
very invasive and spreads through runners. I've seen it break up
asphalt driveways by invading the cracks. In warm weather, it grows
very dense and crowds out weeds.

Zoysia is a fabulous grass under the right conditions but NJ is probably too
far north to make a nice lawn grass.

It is very thick, grows very slowly, requires almost no water, and rarely
gets weeds. Here in N Virginia, it greens up earlier than bermuda and
spreads slower than bermuda. It can also handle winter kill better than
bermuda.

It will turn brown with the first good frost. We are beginning to green up
the zoysia right now in VA but May is the real green-up time.

Zoysia is a nice grass for steep hillsides.

HtH