Old 28-04-2005, 09:37 PM
John Savage

"ronald" writes:
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?

As others suggested, young spinach or silverbeet leaves would be a good
substitute. Maybe shredded cabbage, e.g., the small sugarloaf, or any
variety harvested young. Young dandelion leaves, nasturtium leaves, celery
leaves. Mustard or cress seedlings, or any sprouts: bean, pea, etc., though
I have heard that some of these (viz., alfalfa) should be stirfried and not
eaten raw otherwise much of its nutrient content is unavailable to our
digestive system. (Similar thing applies to tomatoes--the fruit, I mean.)