Old 03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Sumgod

Mike, Tony and Rod - thanks for your input.

I was heard about the Alko last evening and so posted my query directly
here. This morning I rang my local Husky/Honda dealer who services our mower
and strimmer (actually it was the guy who picks 'em up and then services
them rather than the dealer, but you get my drift). I asked him about the
Alko and his instant response was "rubbish". For very lightweight use only
and you can't get parts for 'em. So I pass.

And yes Rod, I think it will have to be the real McCoy, i.e. an old Allen.
I've been keeping an eye out on e-bay but the folks getting rid seem to be
mainly in the south of the UK. Bet an Allen won't fit in VW Passat estate!
Any ideas on where else I might look?

Regards and thanks for all the info - Tony

"Sumgod" wrote in message
news:1115063663.24a03e158efd7e63b1f10b0d24c729e4@1 usenet...
Hiya,

I've got just over and acre of rough grassland (mid-Wales hillside stuff)
that I've been fighting for a couple or three years. Needless to say I'm
not winning!

The idea was to cut it a couple of times a year, emulating the management
of the surrounding farmland, e.g. the hay is cut and then it's then
cropped by cattle. A ride-on mower won't touch it, neither will a honda
self-propelled. So I resort to a petrol strimmer. Hell! So........leave it
all to die down over winter and then strim it all back. Which is better
labour and effort wise but I've defeated my initial intention!

Knowledgeable folk (!) say that I should get a power scythe of the Allen
type but cost benefit has me head scratching. £700/£800 to use twice a
year?

Now I've got the chance to lay out about £300 for a 3 year old Alko Farmer
2-stroke powered scythe. Since I know absolutely nothing about such
machines or the Alko brand, does anyone have any experience or advice
about this type of machine?

If you have been, thanks for the help.

Regards - Tony