Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Mike Lyle

MM wrote:
My new lawn is really coming on now. Much of the grass is 2" high,
though patchy. When I do the first cut (I have a Qualcast Panther

hand
cylinder mower), should I leave the trimmings on the surface to

mulch
down or collect them?

If you've got a hand mower, do it right now: don't even wait to have
cup of tea! You say it's new: if from seed, there's some danger of
ripping the young plants out as you mow. Use the highest setting, and
go over it repeatedly, reducing the setting every time, till it's
down to just over half an inch high. Whether to use the grass-box on
the mower is a matter of judgement: if the clippings are dense enough
to interfere with the mower's subsequent passes, or look like
covering up the young growth, you should collect them. Otherwise, I'd
leave them there for now (but collect them if the new lawn is from
turf). I'm afraid you're now on the lawn-mowing treadmill: daily if
you're fanatical, twice a week if possible, weekly if you don't want
grief.

Get back to us to say how you got on.

--
Mike.