Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Jupiter

Default Greedy Wood Pigeons

I'm used to losing ripe cherries to blackbirds etc.and don't really
mind that: HOWEVER, this year 3 huge fat wood pigeons have taken to
visiting my garden early morning and early evening and eating the
little green unripe cherries before they even have a chance to develop
and feed the song birds, as well as trying to get into my cold frame
after the salad stuff. I fear for any crop going in the ground for the
rest of the year.

Having eaten chicken wings tonight, the little pile of bones on my
plate gave me ideas about the pigeons. Big fat sitting targets in my
cherry tree.
Apart from a .22 BSA Meteor or similar, I doubt there's any way of
deterring these crop destroyers. I think it's legal to shoot them,
but does anyone know differently and is there any other way of
deterring them? Incidentally, this is the first year that we haven't
been infested with cats, hence the pigeons no doubt. Despite being
sorely tempted to shoot cats, I'm mindful of the fact that they are
probably someone's pets and aren't really edible. Overfed pigeons are
a different matter.