Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Martin Brown

Paul wrote:

My Aloe Vera went brown I think it was getting to much sun (sun burn?)
relocated into a bright place with no direct sun and it has now turn
back to its healthy green colour.

They can go reddish or bronze through sunburn. It isn't fatal.

Many aloes look better grown in very strong sunlight with a tight
rosette of leaves. They tend to go leggy grown in poor light.

Can a desert plant get sunburn?

Yes. Particularly in the early spring sunshine after a dark winter. You
can get scorch problems usually due to inadequate ventilation.

Many desert plants have clever strategies to protect themselves from the
sun, heat and UV. Some alkaloids and other aromatic compounds are good
sunscreens.

Regards,
Martin Brown