Old 11-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:
A plant of P. kolopakingii x P. praestans is coming into flower for me.
It's a big straping thing like you'd expect.

I was trying to find it on the web to know what to expect and am a bit
confused.

Is this one of those that have had the name changed? It looks like Antec
calls praestans as P. glanduliferum and crossed with kolopankingii it would
be P. Hayabusa.

I'm not sure what they are doing with praestans... Which is a lovely
species, by the way. I do know they have mucked up glanduliferum v.
wilhelminiae. That is now being registered as P. wilhelminiae. Which
changes the names of some very nice Susan Booths to William Ambler. Of
course only if you know one of the parents was var. wilhelminiae,
otherwise I guess they get to stay Susan Booth...

Praestans was accepted as a species for registration purposes through at
least 2001. I didn't see any notice from the registrar that this had
changed, when I was looking through the lists. Guess the way to find
out is to contact the registrar and ask...

P. wilhelminiae x kolo = Hayabusa. If glanduliferum is separate from
wilhelminiae, then this cross is as yet unregistered. If praestans is
separate from either of these two, that is also unregistered. As far as
I can tell.

This is starting to get confusing...

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com