Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:
"undergroundbob" wrote in message

Or if you're not hungry, you could use my trusty cat/magpie deterrent
technique - sturdy catapult and a jar of hazelnuts.

Cracks me up to see a cat jump so high.

I used to know a poacher (now deceased) who was absolutely lethal with his
'plate' (as he used to call his catapult) even into his eighties. Mind you,
he used ball bearings, not hazelnuts, and I don't suppose he'd have bothered
knocking over cats.

You can often identify the routes of old (grubbed-up) hedgerows by
coming across marbles in the soil. I have two such (baked clay ones)
found here in East Angular where once there was a hedge, and back in the
60's I found a similar one close to a hedge in Oxfordshire.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/