Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Pat Brennan

Hi Gene,

This is from Cash (1991). "Growers seeking information about Paph
praestans, a widely used but subsequent synonym for this taxon, must read
Cribb (1987) for historical details of nomenclature. P. praestans is a
synonym for this species, due to its publication subsequent to P.
granduliferum. The unusual situation here involves a name which seems new
to horticulturists though it was given to one of the earliest slippers
described."

A lot of plants are still sold under the name praestans, but I am not sure
if many would argue that there are two different species here. As far as I
know RHS only accepts granduliferum.

Pat

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
A plant of P. kolopakingii x P. praestans is coming into flower for me.
It's a big straping thing like you'd expect.

I was trying to find it on the web to know what to expect and am a bit
confused.

Is this one of those that have had the name changed? It looks like Antec
calls praestans as P. glanduliferum and crossed with kolopankingii it
would
be P. Hayabusa.

Is this correct? Paph experts?

Good growing,