Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 PM
MM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:55:46 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Yes, I understand: it's glorious. But if you don't cut it now, you'll
be sorry. Why not select a patch to leave alone? In quite a few
gardens it can be done without looking too scruffy: making some kind
of visible edge, and naturalising some bulbs and other flowers in
there will help make it look intentional, though grass will always
tend to out-compete them. Putting some obviously ornamental grasses
in should help, too; but I never tried that. I used to cut my
wild-flower lawn at about the end of July when the flowers had mostly
seeded. (This approach will infect your formal lawn with weeds, of
course: swings and roundabouts.)

Here are some pics, taken this afternoon, after the first cut:

http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com

I barely got 1/3 of a grassbox full!

What should I do about the patchy areas - reseed or wait?

MM