Old 13-05-2005, 06:56 PM
madgardener

good grief. Go to Lowes or Home Depot or WalMart and get some of those 38c
green flower stakes that you slip a single stem into after you push it into
the ground as deep as you can (they're about two foot long, the larger ones
are longer, almost three foot) and hold them upright. When the flower buds
are all open, snap off the spent part, remove the supports and use again!
Next year, invest in the circle grid you imbed over a clump of plants when
the leaves are just coming up, and they flower stalks will push thru the
square grids and you don't have to worry about individual staking each
stalk.

Irises don't have to be coddled. I've seen clumps of them in abandoned yards
that were full of flowers and no rains for weeks. They're pretty tough.
They're falling over because the flowerheads are just large. Don't be
tempted to bury them deeper, it will stop them from flowering
altogether.........
madgardener
"PatK" wrote in message
Is it normal for iris to fall over? I mean the flowers, of course. They
were fine until the flowers came out and then boom, down they went.
Should I tie them up somehow? The flowers are HUGE.

Pat